Český sen - The Czech Dream
How two film students built a hypermarket that wasn't there and fooled thousands
Czechs have fallen in love with shopping. Almost 40% of people in the Czech Republic do their shopping in supermarkets and whole families spend their weekends in shopping malls.
Shopping, of course, has more to offer than Mother Nature: You can eat in a shopping mall, play sport in a shopping mall, play games in a shopping mall, watch films in a shopping mall, dump your kid in a supervised play area and then get back together again at the cashdesk with big smiles on your faces.
And since the supermarket boom began, we're surrounded by bigger and bigger advertisements hawking their wares on every corner.
Český sen – the 126th supermarket in the Czech Republic - was dreamed up as a response to the brave new world we're living in. Český sen – a film about a hypermarket that doesn't actually exist, is a humorous way of dealing with a subject that we're all too familiar with.
This is a film about an advertising campaign promoting the store of our dreams, about the people who created that campaign, about the people who fell victim to it and about two filmmakers who decided to dupe thousands of people in order to make a film, which, once you've seen it, will wipe the smile off your face.
The film's creators, Filip Remunda and Vít Klusák, were two students at Prague's FAMU film academy who one day put on suits and asked a large advertising agency to create a massive campaign for their imaginary supermarket...
Here are a few interesting facts about the film:
- A huge advertising campaign was created, including TV and radio spots, 400 citylights, 200,000 flyers, an advertising jingle, an "official" supermarket website and print advertising in all major newspapers and magazines
- Twenty-four climbers were needed to erect a 10 x 100 meter temporary billboard on the site of the "store"
- 4,280 people turned up for the grand opening and by around 8pm the same day around six cars per minute were still arriving
- Even today, 18% of Czech people think that there's a supermarket called Český sen
- The ODS (a political party) and Julius Meinl (a rival supermarket) have both produced advertising "inspired" by Český sen
- All the actors in Český sen worked for a deferred salary - they get paid if the film makes money
- The film is being distributed in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, the USA, the United Kingdom, France, Germany and Russia
- Even before the film was finished, the creators were invited to appear at film festivals in Cannes, Berlin, New York, Marseilles and Amsterdam
- Among the TV stations interested in showing the film are Germany's ZDF/arte, Austria's ORF, the Netherlands' HOS, Belgium's VRT, Finland's YLE, and the BBC and Channel 4 in the UK
An English-subtitled version of Český sen is showing at the Kino Světozor cinema until June 23rd, then showing at Kino Lucerna from June 24th until July 7th.
For more on the film, see http://www.ceskysen.cz. For more on the hypermarket, see http://www.hypermarket.ceskysen.cz.
Send your comments or questions direct to the filmakers (in English or Czech) by email at email@example.com.
* See also Andy Markowitz's Český sen review
Video on YouTube
State Opera productions are now at Karlín by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Narodni Divadlo)
A long-planned renovation has pushed the program to a new home
Taking Shakespeare to the streets of Prague by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
One of the Bard's most obscure plays will be performed as a walking tour
4+4 Days in Motion will explore another disused building by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
The annual performance and art festival will be centered near Old Town Square
Stanislav Libenský Award entrants on display at DOX by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: DOX - Natsuki Katsukawa, Japan)
Contemporary glass art from over 30 young international artists is showcased
Red Bull Flying Bach blends classical and hip-hop by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Break dance is performed to Bach is a show seem by 400,000 people worldwide
Všichni svatí (All Saints) by Nová Galerie - Prague.TV
or the legacy of Charles IV's ideas for contemporary art and culture
Free opera at Divoká Šárka by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: wikipedia)
Smetana's Two Widows will play one show at the outdoor theater
5 Unique Museums in the Czech Republic by Olena Kagui - Prague.TV (Foto: kovozoo.cz)
Explore some unique museums the Czech Republic has to offer
Theater festival Divadlo to take place in Plzeň by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Troupes from the CEE region will show new productions
PSC's Richard III and Winter's Tale set for the Estates Theatre by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Several more Shakespeare events are planned, including an alchemy walk and some all-female shows
First Cobbler's Prague Bakery Cup Cake Shop @ PALLADIUM!
1.80 CZK / Minute to / in Czech Republic, Austria, Germany,...
Business gourmet club offering its members 30% off total à...
Feel the rhythm and party to the biggest hits of the 80’s!
Trabant Museum @ STK Motol
Armádní muzeum Žižkov
Národní památník hrdinů heydrichiády
Goout.cz Tickets for Cultural Events in Prague