Tips for trips: Pilsen 2015 - Festival of Lights
Pilsen at the Weekend during the Festival of Lights
For all those who decide not to spend the last February weekend (February 20th – 22nd, 2015) in the mountains but plan to visit the Festival of Lights in the city of Pilsen there is a programme proposal for the whole weekend. Thanks to this programme you can learn more about the metropolis of West Bohemia from many interesting points of view.
Friday, February 20th
- - Arrival and accommodation (list of hotels and pensions can be found in the accommodation catalogue), visit of the Tourist Information Centre in 41 Republic Square next to the City Hall (for free you can get the plan of the city centre, various information brochures, for returnable deposit you can borrow an audio guide or to buy a detailed printed guide book), a walk through the historical city centre (City Hall, St Bartholomew's Cathedral and other historical sightseeing places in the city centre)
- - Afternoon coffee in the highest modern building of BCB in the city centre in 1 Anglické nábřeží (from the café on the 16th floor you can enjoy the early evening view on the whole city centre).
- - An evening walk along the Radbuza river (along the right hand side river bank up the stream of the river) and visit of the light objects which are exhibited within the Festival of Lights event on the way from the Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary - Museum of West Bohemia - Korandův sbor – Millenium Bridge – Depo Cukrovarská Street – Papírna Café (about 1, 5 km), back to the city centre via Doudlevecká and Prokopova Street (a 15-minute walk).
- - The evening can be concluded in one of the many popular bars or clubs of the city.
Saturday, February 21st
- - The morning should be devoted to the history of beer in the Brewery Museum you can participate also in the guided tour of the historical underground which is one of the biggest in the central Europe. An interesting alternative of the programme is offered by the Ethnographic Museum of Pilsen where you can visit a collection of living premises which were equipped in various styles from the Gothic style up to the Art Nouveau interiors, furthermore, the is a typical townsman kitchen or a collection of costumes of the Pilsen region (located at the central Republic Square).
- - Enjoy your lunch in one of the many Pilsen restaurants in the city centre (Traditional Czech cuisines and great Pilsen beer is offered for example by the restaurant Na Parkánu, Švejk or Žumbera. The combination of great beer and international cuisines is served in the interesting interior of the Comix Excellent Urban Pub, the restaurant 12° also looks forward to your visit.)
- - The afternoon programme is planned outside the city centre – visit of the 3D Planetarium in the Techmania Science Center (see the map, from the city centre bus stop Mrakodrap or U Práce by trolleybus Nr. 15 and 17). Book in advance one of the offered dates for broadcasting of attractive movies about the starry sky above us.
- - The early evening belongs to the Festival of Light once again. There is a visit of the remaining four light objects prepared for you on the track from subway via Tyršova Street – Štruncovy sady – Pilsner Urquell Brewery yard - Pilsner Urquell Brewery cellars.
- - A special trip for beer lovers: There is also an option of a visit of the Pilsner Urquell Brewery including a guided tour (book the tour via www.prazdrojvisit.cz). On the premises of the Pilsner Urquell Brewery there is also the biggest Czech beer pub Na Spilce (580 places), an ideal place for delicious dinner after a demanding programme.
Sunday, February 22nd
- - Before leaving the city of Pilsen do not forget to visit some of the extraordinary exhibitions: Jiří Trnka's Studio in the Gallery of the City of Pilsen on the Republic Square or Munich, the Shining Metropolis of Art in the Masné Krámy exhibition hall of the Gallery of the West Bohemia in Pražská Street.
Paying to park via SMS is planned by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Praha.eu)
The city is seeking to make it easier to park in designated zones
Drinking while biking faces government opposition by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Senate proposal to relax alcohol rules is not favored by ministries
Hotel opens in Dancing House by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Two floors of the landmark are now a four star hotel
Ryanair announces new routes from Prague by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Ryanair)
The low-cost carrier will have direct flights to Liverpool next year
Trams may go to Strahov Stadium by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: DPP)
Prague 6 hopes to eliminate bus service and replace it with more ecological alternatives
See the Maldives your way by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Czech-based travel company “other way holiday” offers customized travel
Prague bus routes changing in October by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Praha.eu)
New lines and route changes are meant to improve travel near new developments
Paid parking zones expanding by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Praha.eu)
People in Prague 5 and 6 need to register their vehicles to get a parking permit
Tram routes to see large changes by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Praha.eu)
New lines will be introduced and others will see route alterations
Direct flights start between Prague and Chengdu by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
New semi-weekly route is the third connecting China and the Czech Republic
Take a guided tour to Sapa, Prague’s “Little Vietnam”
Prague City Tours in 23 languages!
Flexi membership with summer months for free!
Kids Indoor Playground in Prague 5, OC Zlicin
Plan your trip with Expedia. Buy airline tickets, read...
Maldives - The Sunny Side of Life!
Have fun. Help. Volunteer overseas - Let us organize your...
Prague Sapa tours