Czech VAT Under Reconstruction
The principle of determining the place of taxable supply of services
This article was provided by Baker Tilly Czech Republic.
The business environment is full of continuous and unstable changes that put pressure on companies' management to keep pace with these changes and trends. Baker Tilly Czech Republic, an independent member of Baker Tilly International, the world's eighth-largest network of consulting companies, is an ideal solution, relieving managers and entrepreneurs of the need to cope on their own with this world of legislative changes in the areas of tax, accounting, auditing, and payroll, by means of its monthly Tax Alerts and quarterly Business & Tax Newsletters. Recently, the most discussed and up-to-date topic is VAT law, which in this country has followed suit with sweeping changes made EU-wide. Therefore we mention here the most significant legislative changes in this area.
The new VAT law changes the general rule for the supply of cross-border services. The first question that needs to be answered is whether the recipient is a business or private entity. If the consumer is a taxable person, the place of taxable supply will be shifted to the member state in which the establishment of the recipient or place of its business resides, i.e. into the state of actual consumption. On the contrary, for services provided to consumers who are not taxable persons, the general principle does not change and the place of taxable supply remains in the state of the service provider. This rule will be subject to a number of exceptions, some of which are stated below:
• Services related to real estate will remain taxed in the state where that real estate is
• Place of taxable supply for services in the field of culture, arts, sports, science, education, entertainment and similar services, including services of the organizer will not change and will be in the state where the event takes place.
• A significant change occurs in the taxation of transport services. If goods transportation including ancillary services is provided to a company, the place of taxable supply will be in the state of the consumer, regardless of whether it is transportation between member states or within the territory of the Czech Republic. On the other hand, if the transport services are provided to private entities, the place of taxable supply will be in the state where the transportation began or the place where the relevant section of the transport takes place.
• In the case of electronic services provided by a foreign entity liable to tax (i.e. entity that does not have residency within the European Union, nor the place of business or place of stay) to ordinary consumer who resides in the Czech Republic, the place of taxable supply will always be in the Czech Republic.
• Another important novelty is still wider use of "effective use and enjoyment rule." If, according to a general rule, the place of taxable supply of services to a taxable person is established in a third country, but the real use or consumption of the service is in the domestic country, the place of taxable supply will be shifted to this country.
To comment on the previous situation, when certain types of services are taxed by some member states according to special rules, while others have applied the general rule, one must say that it was somewhat confusing. The new general principle will not only resolve disputes about the right to charge VAT between the member states, but also minimizes the risk of double taxation that companies face when providing cross-border services.
Another important change in the VAT, which has been adopted, is the increase of the VAT rates from January 1, 2010, i.e. the standard rate of VAT increases from 19% to 20% and the reduced VAT rate changes from 9% to 10%.
Baker Tilly Czech Republic's tax department is composed of a number of professionals that deal with various tax-effective structures for its clients on daily basis. If you believe there are tax areas you are not quite sure how to deal with, do not hesitate to contact the professionals from Baker Tilly Czech Republic.
This article was provided by the Baker Tilly Czech Republic. For contact details, see Baker Tilly Czech Republic's Prague Directory listing.
Jobspin.cz Job Fair powered by Prague.TV presents job opportunities for expats by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Speakers and consultants will also offer help on what people should do to find the best job
Hackers Congress to meet in Prague by Prague.TV
This September, Paralelni Polis 2016 will bring world cryptoanarchy leaders to Holešovice
10 Coworking Spaces in Prague by Olena Kagui - Prague.TV (Foto: hubpraha.cz)
A look at Prague's shared working venues
Dalai Lama to give public lecture in Prague by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Tickets go on sale Sept. 1 at noon for his talk on secular ethics
Registration for Forum 2000 starts by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Member of the public can attend many of the events, but must register before the deadline
The Dalai Lama to visit Prague for the Forum 2000 Conference by Prague.TV
Forum 2000 - Prague, October 16-19
PIAF 2016: Prague’s 7th International Advertising Festival (April 26-27) by Emily Prucha - Prague.TV
Mingle with creative talents at a two-day boutique festival with a sports marketing focus
Shareholder Expectations vs. 21st Century Market Dynamics by PragueConnect.cz
The Leadership Series: In-depth Discussions with the Leaders Who are Defining the Future
International HORECA Summit to be Hosted in Prague by Horeca
International HORECA Summit - Czech Republic on November 26th and 27th, 2015
Modern Sports Marketing Solutions by Prague.TV / Prague Monitor (PTV Media s.r.o.)
Marketing solutions with the most successful hockey club in the Czech Republic
Prague Airport Transport: Private, Shuttle & Limo-service!
Prague.TV users have a 50% discount on Pivovar Lužinys...
Concert Tickets for Prague and Czech Republic
Prague City Tours in 23 languages!
Translator and interpreter of the English language
AB InBev in the Czech Republic
GEP is a diverse, creative team of people passionate about...
Singles events in Prague oriented towards singles who are...