Finding the right pet sitter
A checklist of questions you should be asking to ensure you are getting the right pet sitter
There’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to finding the right pet sitter to meet the specific needs of you and your pet. Finding a pet sitter to provide the right pet-care services requires an investment of time — time to do phone interviews, conduct in-your-home meetings and thoroughly check references on those you’re considering hiring.
Here is a handy checklist of questions you should be asking to ensure you are getting the right pet sitter for your pets:
• Does the pet sitter (or agency) keep regular office hours? A professional pet sitter should have a schedule of office hours.
• If you left a message inquiring about services, how soon was it returned? All phone calls should be returned within 24 hours
• How much notice does the pet sitter (or agency) need in order to schedule your request for a pet sitter?
• Does the pet sitter (or agency) have established fees for pet care they can quote over the phone and/or in company literature?
• Is the pet sitter insured?
• Does the sitter have a clean criminal history?
• Does the pet sitter meet with you and your pet(s) in advance? Is there a charge for this in-home meeting? Initial interviews allow the pet sitter to meet with you in your home, interact with your pets and discuss services and business policies. These visits are highly recommended for both pet owner and pet sitter.
• How much experience does the pet sitter have in caring for your particular type of pet?• Does the pet sitter willingly and happily provide references?
• Does the pet sitter use a service contract that spells out services performed and fees for doing so?
• How much time does the pet sitter spend in your home to care for your pet(s)?
• Does the pet sitter have a website that you may peruse?
• What contingency plan does the pet sitter have in the event of inclement weather or natural disaster while caring for your pet(s)?
• What does the pet sitter do if medical care is needed for your pet?
• How does the pet sitting agency screen and train their pet sitters?
• How will the pet sitter confirm your safe return home for the care of your pet(s)? Your pet sitter should call to confirm that you have returned home at the expected time or ask that you call to confirm your return.
• Will the pet sitter provide you with an evaluation or rating form of their services? A service rating form, either left at your home or sent by e-mail, is the hallmark of a professional pet sitter who wants to ensure client satisfaction.
• What are the payment terms? Some pet sitters require payment in full for first time customers while others require a deposit upon reservation and balance paid at the end of the assignment. There is no industry standard for payment terms, so be sure you understand in advance the terms of the pet-sitting business you choose to work with.
Prague 14 wants help with urban boars by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
Pigs gone wild have been attacking domestic dogs in the woods
Prague working on dog ordinance by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
Districts want more places for dogs to run free
Bird flu found in Prague East district by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Several cases have also been reported in South Moravia
Catsit.cz minds your pet when you can't by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
A five-year-old Czech company has a solution for cat owners who love to travel
Dog law still missing by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: pawz.cz)
Rules outlining where dogs can be off the leash are long overdue
Pets in Prague by Olena Kagui - Prague.TV (Foto: Pawz FB)
Prague.TV's guide to a happy pets life in Prague
Keep Your Dog Safe from Summer Heat by Martina Čermáková - Prague.TV
Check out these hot-weather tips to help prevent your pet from overheating
Life-savers: Dogs who donate blood by Martina Čermáková
Your dog can easily save the lives of countless other dogs
Avoiding ticks and fleas this season by Martina Čermáková
It’s vital to keep control of ticks and fleas before they have the chance to bite
- Keeping your pooch happy and safe by Martina Čermáková
Looking for a Handyman in Prague?
No Contracts, No Hassles, just quality satellite television
First Cobbler's Prague Bakery Cup Cake Shop @ PALLADIUM!
Become a Good Angel!
Prague’s No.1 Cat Sitting Company
Your dog's second-best friend