Pets in Prague
Prague.TV's guide to a happy pets life in Prague
Prague is a very dog-friendly city and every newcomer notices how well behaved Czech dogs are. Many expats bring their dogs or other pets with them when they move to Prague, or decide to get a pet once they get settled down. Here are some useful tips for pet care.
Purchasing a Pet: There are many breeders as well as everyday people who's dog got pregnant and they can't keep all the puppies or kittens. While it is always more humane to adopt dogs from a pet shelter, there are several good online websites where you can browse through offers. Keep in mind that a lot of breeders and families are selling from outside of Prague.
- Seznam Bazar:
Pet Shelters: Hundreds of animals become homeless every year. Fortunately, kill shelters are not common in Prague, but no animal wants to spend it's life in a cage. The following shelters are great places to find a furry or even exotic pet. A rescued animal will be grateful forever.
- Útulek Pro Opuštěná Zvířata: With two locations in Troja and Dolních Měcholupech open Monday – Friday 9:00 – 17:00 and weekends and holidays 12:00 – 17:00. www.upozpraha.cz
- Azyl Opuštěných Zvířat V Libni: Located at Jeřábová 1, 190 00 Praha 9 – Libeň open daily from 9:00 – 17:00. www.utulek-liben.com
- Útulek Modřany: Located at U Soutoku 10, Praha 4, 142 00 and accepting Christmas presents and donations for the pets as well as 'virtual adoption' for anyone who just wants to help. www.utulekmodrany.eu
- Odchyt Lary: Located at Vysocanska 546, Prague 9, 190 00. www.odchyt-lary.estranky.cz
Here is a complete list of shelters in the Czech Republic if you are interested in adopting from outside of Prague: www.utulky.estranky.cz
Pet Training: Some pets need a bit more training than others. If any owners need a bit of help, there are countless schools and training places for dogs of all ages, breeds and sizes.
- Agi Forte Praha: Located on Císařský Ostrov street, offering both group and individual training. www.osa-forte.wz.cz
- Ambra Professional: Located in Prague 7, this private training school offers a variety of different classes and much more. www.psiskola.cz
Pet Grooming: Although most dog grooming can be done at home, it's not always easy and can be quite an ordeal. The following places have English speaking staff.
Veterinarians: When it comes to veterinarians, it's difficult to get your pet treated if you don't have a shared language with the vet. Below is a list of veterinarians who speak English and can help your pet stay healthy.
- Veterina Nebušie: Located in Nebušická 128, Praha 6 – Nebušice 164 00 with consultation hours from Monday to Friday 9:00 – 11:00 and 17:00 – 19:00. www.veterinanebusice.cz
- AA-Vet 24hrs Veterinary Service: Located in Chmelová 3316/6b, 106 00, Praha 10-Zahradní Město. www.aavet.cz
- Veterinary Clinic Michle: Located in Na úhoru 657/5, 141 00 Praha-Michle. Open Monday – Friday 9:00 – 12:00, 12:00 – 20:00 and on Sunday 17:00 – 19:00. www.veterina-michle.cz
- Veterinární Ordinace MVDr. Michaely Riedlové: Located in Maďarská 3, Praha – Bubeneč with opening hours Monday – Friday 9:00 – 21:00 and on weekends for emergencies. www.vaseveterina.cz
- Veterinary Prague: With three locations, two in Prague 6 with opening hours during the week and open for emergencies on weekends. www.veterinacervenyvrch.cz
Pet Hotels, Pet Sitters and Dog Walkers: It's hard to enjoy a holiday or a party if you are constantly reminded of your pet sitting at home and waiting for you. If you need your pet walked once, twice or looked after for a longer period of time, there are a bunch of options:
Catsit.cz® - Professional Cat Sitting: A professional cat sitting service focusing on cat sitting directly at your home. Their team consists of experienced cat sitters who are huge cat lovers. Catsit.cz® was established in 2011 and we operate 365 days a year. Website: www.catsit.cz/en
- Petland, Professional Pet Sitting Services in Prague: With a family hotel for pets as well as services for more than just dogs and cats, find out more about this company on their English-friendly website: www.hlidanimazlicku.com
- Mam Rad Psa: Offering pet sitting, grooming, dog walking, giving tips about a dog's diet as well as organizing dog birthday parties, find out more at: www.mamradpsa.cz
- Great Aupair: Offers a list of pet sitters and walkers for a one off time, short term or even a long term commitment. www.greataupair.com
- Zoo Service Agency: For services including walking, feeding and taking care of any pet with options of the the pet staying at the carer's house or having someone come to the pet's home. www.zooservice.cz
- Doginni: A platform for pet owners as well as pet walkers and sitters with an English-friendly website. www.doginni.cz
- Pawz: Offering one-on-one care for dogs with great reviews from previous customers. www.pawz.cz
- Fetch Pets: Offering pet sitting and care to all sort of pets including fish. Services include coming to your home and even watering plants and collecting the mail. www.fetchpets.cz
Buying Pet Supplies: While Pet Center is probably the most common store with the most locations around Prague, there are a lot of other stores that offer cheaper and/or greater variety of goods. Here are a few of them:
- Muj Mazlik: Open Monday through Friday 9:00 – 18:00 and offering free transportation with orders over 999 CZK. www.mujmazlik.cz
- Super Zoo: With 3 stores in Prague and opening times including weekends. www.superzoo.cz
- Happy Zoo: With 4 stores in Prague open every day of the week from 9:00 – 21:00 depending on the location. www.happyzoo.cz
- Spokojeny Pes: Offering free delivery with orders over 499 CZK. www.spokojenypes.cz
- U Hafika: Offering a guaranteed delivery in up to 2 days. www.uhafika.cz
Prague 14 wants help with urban boars by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
Pigs gone wild have been attacking domestic dogs in the woods
Prague working on dog ordinance by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
Districts want more places for dogs to run free
Bird flu found in Prague East district by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Several cases have also been reported in South Moravia
Catsit.cz minds your pet when you can't by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
A five-year-old Czech company has a solution for cat owners who love to travel
Dog law still missing by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: pawz.cz)
Rules outlining where dogs can be off the leash are long overdue
Keep Your Dog Safe from Summer Heat by Martina Čermáková - Prague.TV
Check out these hot-weather tips to help prevent your pet from overheating
Life-savers: Dogs who donate blood by Martina Čermáková
Your dog can easily save the lives of countless other dogs
Avoiding ticks and fleas this season by Martina Čermáková
It’s vital to keep control of ticks and fleas before they have the chance to bite
Finding the right pet sitter by Martina Čermáková
A checklist of questions you should be asking to ensure you are getting the right pet sitter
- Keeping your pooch happy and safe by Martina Čermáková
Concert Tickets for Prague and Czech Republic
Great online exchange rates - 0% commission - collect at...
... the real luxury is actually waiting for you on your...
Don’t miss out on historical low Czech mortgage rates!
Prague’s No.1 Cat Sitting Company
Your dog's second-best friend