9 staggering truths about property rental laws
Advice on renting a flat in cooperation with our Partner Czech Point 101
1. All minor repairs are the responsibility of the tenant
2. The landlord can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if: a. the tenant severely violates their obligations under the lease or b. the tenant is convicted of a criminal act against the landlord or their family
3. A tenant can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if their living situation has seriously changed (i.e. loss or change of employment, marriage, children, etc.). The notice period is 3 months starting from the first of the following month.
4. A tenant must be paid interest on their damage deposit at the rate stipulated by the Czech National Bank
5. Landlords cannot restrict tenants from having pets
6. A tenant can sub-lease their property without needing consent of the landlord
7. A landlord is not permitted to enter a property without consent of the tenant except in an emergency (i.e. flood, fire, earthquake)
8. A tenant can change the locks on the property without being required to inform the landlord or provide them with a key
9. A tenant has until the 5th day of a month to pay that month’s rent
Note: Most items above have exceptions but in general the above statements are the general rule. For example, with number 5 about pets the tenant couldn’t move in a lion or other dangerous animal.
For more details on the above laws please see our in-depth discussion on landlord tenant laws in Czech Republic: Part 1, Part 2
Břevnov may get futuristic highrise by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: praha6.cz)
Plans to replace an Art Nouveau building have met with local objections
Svoboda & Williams discusses real estate trends by Ross Kennerley - Prague.TV (Foto: Prokop Svoboda -Svoboda & Williams)
Managing partner Prokop Svoboda says the market is moving forward
Koněvova Street to be revitalized by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: vizualizace MČ Praha 3)
Work on the busy Prague 3 street will start in the spring
Office vacancy drops in Prague by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
A record low amount of new office space introduced in 2016
City Hall to discuss Náplavka renovation by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: wikimedia.org)
The disused rooms under the wall could be transformed
Holešovice named one Europe's coolest neighborhoods by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
While the industrial area has improved, some locals question the designation
Old Town Square building sold for record price by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
U Červené lišky, which faces the Old Town Clock, changed hands in a rare deal
Penta plans development at the Nusle brewery by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Nuselský pivovar - wikipedia.org)
The protected brewery building will be at the center of a new project
Red tape is tying up development of new flats by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
Despite some new rules, developers claim the city makes it too hard to building
Prague to get more office space by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: S + B Gruppe - Trimaran)
Several projects should be completed in 2017
Get discounts on speed dating and meet other singles...
Uncover the unique story behind the Staropramen brewery in...
Your cheapest calls home!
First Cobbler's Prague Bakery Cup Cake Shop @ PALLADIUM!
We do more for travellers
CST has been open in Prague since June 2016
Zebra Technologies EMEA
HUGO Bike Prague & Segwaytrip