9 staggering truths about property rental laws
Advice on renting a flat in cooperation with our Partner Czech Point 101
1. All minor repairs are the responsibility of the tenant
2. The landlord can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if: a. the tenant severely violates their obligations under the lease or b. the tenant is convicted of a criminal act against the landlord or their family
3. A tenant can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if their living situation has seriously changed (i.e. loss or change of employment, marriage, children, etc.). The notice period is 3 months starting from the first of the following month.
4. A tenant must be paid interest on their damage deposit at the rate stipulated by the Czech National Bank
5. Landlords cannot restrict tenants from having pets
6. A tenant can sub-lease their property without needing consent of the landlord
7. A landlord is not permitted to enter a property without consent of the tenant except in an emergency (i.e. flood, fire, earthquake)
8. A tenant can change the locks on the property without being required to inform the landlord or provide them with a key
9. A tenant has until the 5th day of a month to pay that month’s rent
Note: Most items above have exceptions but in general the above statements are the general rule. For example, with number 5 about pets the tenant couldn’t move in a lion or other dangerous animal.
For more details on the above laws please see our in-depth discussion on landlord tenant laws in Czech Republic: Part 1, Part 2
City plans new low-cost housing by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: wikimedia)
Prague has not built new flats in a decade but that will change
Dvořákovo nábřeží to be renovated by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: www.iprpraha.cz)
The street near the waterfront will get wider sidewalks and a bike lane
Prague 5 plans leisure area for Vidoule by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Google Maps)
Undeveloped land on a hill has been the center of a dispute
Tallest residential building rising in Pankrác by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: vtower.cz
The V Tower has faced several delays but should be finished in 2018
Na Příkopě remains Prague's most expensive street by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
The retail shopping area in Prague is expected to expand, and rents are rising
Vítkov Hill to be revitalized by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Zdeněk Sendler)
Plans include a cafe with a view, a promenade and an outdoor theater
No new houses can be built near Vodochody Airport by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: letiste-vodochody.cz)
A noise protection zone has been established around a small airport near Prague
Letná's main streets may see major changes by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: iprpraha.cz)
Veletržní and Dukelských hrdinů are likely to be made more friendly
Vítězné náměstí to be redesigned by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
A unified plan for the square should relieve traffic and make it more friendly
Refixace offers mortgage services for expats by
Mortgage specialists have expertise in getting the best deals for foreigners in the Czech Republic
Looking for a memorable experience in Prague?
Prague.TV users have a 50% discount on Pivovar Lužinys...
... the real luxury is actually waiting for you on your...
Your cheapest calls home!
Czech Lifestyle magazine for young people
We help the young to fight cancer
Good Angel Foundation
IT advisory, development and outsourcing