9 staggering truths about property rental laws
Advice on renting a flat in cooperation with our Partner Czech Point 101
1. All minor repairs are the responsibility of the tenant
2. The landlord can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if: a. the tenant severely violates their obligations under the lease or b. the tenant is convicted of a criminal act against the landlord or their family
3. A tenant can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if their living situation has seriously changed (i.e. loss or change of employment, marriage, children, etc.). The notice period is 3 months starting from the first of the following month.
4. A tenant must be paid interest on their damage deposit at the rate stipulated by the Czech National Bank
5. Landlords cannot restrict tenants from having pets
6. A tenant can sub-lease their property without needing consent of the landlord
7. A landlord is not permitted to enter a property without consent of the tenant except in an emergency (i.e. flood, fire, earthquake)
8. A tenant can change the locks on the property without being required to inform the landlord or provide them with a key
9. A tenant has until the 5th day of a month to pay that month’s rent
Note: Most items above have exceptions but in general the above statements are the general rule. For example, with number 5 about pets the tenant couldn’t move in a lion or other dangerous animal.
For more details on the above laws please see our in-depth discussion on landlord tenant laws in Czech Republic: Part 1, Part 2
Selling your house as a part of a divorce in the Czech Republic by rutland ježek - Prague.TV
Legal advice provided in cooperation with our partner rutland ježek
Prague has most expensive old houses by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
Prices vary greatly among the regions and have been increasingly
New forest land being planted in Prague by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
The city currently has about 10 percent of it areas covered by woods
Prague 4 opposes street change plans by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: IPR Praha)
Work could begin in 2019 in the Pankrác area if agreement is reached
Changes for Malostranské náměstí could start next year by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Prague representatives have approved a basic concept for the square in Malá Strana
City to improve flood protection for Old Town by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: europa.eu)
The flood barriers should be higher than the level of the 2002 flood
Parking may return to Malostranské náměstí by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Svoboda & Williams Prague)
The lower house of Parliament is considering a safety zone that includes the square
Belgická Street repairs to start again by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: MC Praha)
The final phases of work on the Vinohrady street will last until the end of July
Flats for short-term rentals on the rise by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
Many people are buying flats to rent out, but there is a growing trend toward regulation
Prague 5 is developing plans for its waterfront by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: MC Praha 5)
The right side of the Vltava is to be made more friendly for tourists and residents
First Cobbler's Prague Bakery Cup Cake Shop @ PALLADIUM!
Looking for a memorable experience in Prague?
27 taps with excellent craft beers and ciders in the center...
Concert Tickets for Prague and Czech Republic
Send cash around the world in minutes with no bank account...
Antiques, collectibles and more ...
Expats do you find the Prague real estate market...
It is great to be beautiful, yet it is even greater to be...