9 staggering truths about property rental laws
Advice on renting a flat in cooperation with our Partner Czech Point 101
1. All minor repairs are the responsibility of the tenant
2. The landlord can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if: a. the tenant severely violates their obligations under the lease or b. the tenant is convicted of a criminal act against the landlord or their family
3. A tenant can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if their living situation has seriously changed (i.e. loss or change of employment, marriage, children, etc.). The notice period is 3 months starting from the first of the following month.
4. A tenant must be paid interest on their damage deposit at the rate stipulated by the Czech National Bank
5. Landlords cannot restrict tenants from having pets
6. A tenant can sub-lease their property without needing consent of the landlord
7. A landlord is not permitted to enter a property without consent of the tenant except in an emergency (i.e. flood, fire, earthquake)
8. A tenant can change the locks on the property without being required to inform the landlord or provide them with a key
9. A tenant has until the 5th day of a month to pay that month’s rent
Note: Most items above have exceptions but in general the above statements are the general rule. For example, with number 5 about pets the tenant couldn’t move in a lion or other dangerous animal.
For more details on the above laws please see our in-depth discussion on landlord tenant laws in Czech Republic: Part 1, Part 2
Prague 6 pool competition under fire by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: web C015 Architekti)
The ČKA says the contest that is only open to students of one school is irregular
More tunnels planned for Prague by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Praha.eu)
A year after Blanka opens, tunnels are back on the map
Agreement reached on Prague 7 mall by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: palacstromovka.cz)
Palác Stromovka will be built but without the controversial glass cylinder
New part of Prague Ring Road gets start date by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Praha.eu)
The section between the D1 and D11 motorways should be started in 2019
Renovation of Wenceslas Square moving forward by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Picture Cigler Marani Architects)
After years of inaction, the city is coming closer to getting a building permit
Water system to shut down in part of Prague by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
17,000 people in the eastern edge of the city to be affected
City approves plan for Vinohradská by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: iprpraha.cz)
A long section of the street will get new tram tracks plus trees and benches
Prague islands may be revitalized by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Rohanský ostrov / atelier-fna.cz)
Rohan Island might become a real island once again and other plans are being examined
Statues coming to Malostranské náměstí by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto © PTV Media Prague)
A panel is considering the initial events for the square that has newly opened up to the public
Bělohorská Street to be renovated by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: iprpraha.cz / Malovanka)
A proposal to add more trees and widen streets is moving forward
Kids Indoor Playground in Prague 5, OC Zlicin
Prague City Tours in 23 languages!
1.80 CZK / Minute to / in Czech Republic, Austria, Germany,...
Prague Airport Transport: Private, Shuttle & Limo-service!
Premium craft brewery in Prague 4
The House of Craft Beer in Prague
Stag Parties & Fun Events
Dentist in Prague 2