9 staggering truths about property rental laws
Advice on renting a flat in cooperation with our Partner Czech Point 101
1. All minor repairs are the responsibility of the tenant
2. The landlord can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if: a. the tenant severely violates their obligations under the lease or b. the tenant is convicted of a criminal act against the landlord or their family
3. A tenant can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if their living situation has seriously changed (i.e. loss or change of employment, marriage, children, etc.). The notice period is 3 months starting from the first of the following month.
4. A tenant must be paid interest on their damage deposit at the rate stipulated by the Czech National Bank
5. Landlords cannot restrict tenants from having pets
6. A tenant can sub-lease their property without needing consent of the landlord
7. A landlord is not permitted to enter a property without consent of the tenant except in an emergency (i.e. flood, fire, earthquake)
8. A tenant can change the locks on the property without being required to inform the landlord or provide them with a key
9. A tenant has until the 5th day of a month to pay that month’s rent
Note: Most items above have exceptions but in general the above statements are the general rule. For example, with number 5 about pets the tenant couldn’t move in a lion or other dangerous animal.
For more details on the above laws please see our in-depth discussion on landlord tenant laws in Czech Republic: Part 1, Part 2
Refixace offers mortgage services for expats by
Mortgage specialists have expertise in getting the best deals for foreigners in the Czech Republic
Žižkov freight station may become a housing project by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: jakub cigler architekti)
Plans to finally develop the disused railway yard are starting to make progress
Koněvova and Husitská streets to be renovated by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: www.rekonstrukce-husitska-konevova.cz)
Political factions disagree on how extensive the changes should be
New public space to be built at Hradčanská by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Majo architekti)
A market area with space for public events is planned for area near metro stop
Apartment availability hits a low by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: flatstore.cz)
Sales of new flat have been slow, and creation of new units is even slower
Hlavní nádraží renovation in trouble by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: wikipedia)
The Italian company will miss the deadline to finish work and may lose its lease
Negrelli Viaduct may be revitalized by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: CCEA)
The spaces under the railway overpass may become shops and cultural venues
Smíchov City project seeks a building permit by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Sekyra Group)
A large brownfield area in Prague 5 may become a mixed use development with a park
Belgická Street reopens with trees intact by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
A local initiative forced the city to reconsider plans for the Prague 2 street
Day of Architecture will open doors across the country by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Tours of buildings and a film festival will offer treats for architecture buffs
Get discounts on speed dating and meet other singles...
Prague Airport Transport: Private, Shuttle & Limo-service!
Ready-made company from COMEFLEX
27 taps with excellent craft beers and ciders in the center...
Homemade traditional British Pies in Prague
Home of the hottest tastiest chilli sauces in Prague
Hungarian Fast Food in Prague
Delivering on our promises through medical innovation