9 staggering truths about property rental laws
Advice on renting a flat in cooperation with our Partner Czech Point 101
1. All minor repairs are the responsibility of the tenant
2. The landlord can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if: a. the tenant severely violates their obligations under the lease or b. the tenant is convicted of a criminal act against the landlord or their family
3. A tenant can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if their living situation has seriously changed (i.e. loss or change of employment, marriage, children, etc.). The notice period is 3 months starting from the first of the following month.
4. A tenant must be paid interest on their damage deposit at the rate stipulated by the Czech National Bank
5. Landlords cannot restrict tenants from having pets
6. A tenant can sub-lease their property without needing consent of the landlord
7. A landlord is not permitted to enter a property without consent of the tenant except in an emergency (i.e. flood, fire, earthquake)
8. A tenant can change the locks on the property without being required to inform the landlord or provide them with a key
9. A tenant has until the 5th day of a month to pay that month’s rent
Note: Most items above have exceptions but in general the above statements are the general rule. For example, with number 5 about pets the tenant couldn’t move in a lion or other dangerous animal.
For more details on the above laws please see our in-depth discussion on landlord tenant laws in Czech Republic: Part 1, Part 2
Penta plans development at the Nusle brewery by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Nuselský pivovar - wikipedia.org)
The protected brewery building will be at the center of a new project
Red tape is tying up development of new flats by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
Despite some new rules, developers claim the city makes it too hard to building
Prague to get more office space by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: S + B Gruppe - Trimaran)
Several projects should be completed in 2017
Prague squares to be renovated by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: IPR - Karlovo náměstí)
The city's largest square, Karlovo náměstí, may finally be upgraded
Flats in short supply in Prague and Brno by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Low mortgage rates have led to high demand, but that may change
Mortgage rates hit all-time low by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Rates are expected to rise though at least in the short term
Water prices likely to increase by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Praguers pay slightly above the national average for waterfowl
Kaplický building may come to Štvanice by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
A city concert hall might use a design rejected by České Budějovice
Prague plans for climate change by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: iprpraha.cz)
Study looks at threats from extreme weather
City plans new low-cost housing by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: wikimedia)
Prague has not built new flats in a decade but that will change
Prague Airport Transport: Private, Shuttle & Limo-service!
Kids Indoor Playground in Prague 5, OC Zlicin
Take a guided tour to Sapa, Prague’s “Little Vietnam”
Personal Assistant who SAVES YOUR TIME and NERVES. Just ask...
Prague river cruises – popular Prague tourist attractions
20 Years of true caring for the international community in...
VR entertainment and gaming center
Hostel in Prague 3, Zizkov