Tips for trips: Pilsen 2015 - Festival of Lights
Pilsen at the Weekend during the Festival of Lights
For all those who decide not to spend the last February weekend (February 20th – 22nd, 2015) in the mountains but plan to visit the Festival of Lights in the city of Pilsen there is a programme proposal for the whole weekend. Thanks to this programme you can learn more about the metropolis of West Bohemia from many interesting points of view.
Friday, February 20th
- - Arrival and accommodation (list of hotels and pensions can be found in the accommodation catalogue), visit of the Tourist Information Centre in 41 Republic Square next to the City Hall (for free you can get the plan of the city centre, various information brochures, for returnable deposit you can borrow an audio guide or to buy a detailed printed guide book), a walk through the historical city centre (City Hall, St Bartholomew's Cathedral and other historical sightseeing places in the city centre)
- - Afternoon coffee in the highest modern building of BCB in the city centre in 1 Anglické nábřeží (from the café on the 16th floor you can enjoy the early evening view on the whole city centre).
- - An evening walk along the Radbuza river (along the right hand side river bank up the stream of the river) and visit of the light objects which are exhibited within the Festival of Lights event on the way from the Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary - Museum of West Bohemia - Korandův sbor – Millenium Bridge – Depo Cukrovarská Street – Papírna Café (about 1, 5 km), back to the city centre via Doudlevecká and Prokopova Street (a 15-minute walk).
- - The evening can be concluded in one of the many popular bars or clubs of the city.
Saturday, February 21st
- - The morning should be devoted to the history of beer in the Brewery Museum you can participate also in the guided tour of the historical underground which is one of the biggest in the central Europe. An interesting alternative of the programme is offered by the Ethnographic Museum of Pilsen where you can visit a collection of living premises which were equipped in various styles from the Gothic style up to the Art Nouveau interiors, furthermore, the is a typical townsman kitchen or a collection of costumes of the Pilsen region (located at the central Republic Square).
- - Enjoy your lunch in one of the many Pilsen restaurants in the city centre (Traditional Czech cuisines and great Pilsen beer is offered for example by the restaurant Na Parkánu, Švejk or Žumbera. The combination of great beer and international cuisines is served in the interesting interior of the Comix Excellent Urban Pub, the restaurant 12° also looks forward to your visit.)
- - The afternoon programme is planned outside the city centre – visit of the 3D Planetarium in the Techmania Science Center (see the map, from the city centre bus stop Mrakodrap or U Práce by trolleybus Nr. 15 and 17). Book in advance one of the offered dates for broadcasting of attractive movies about the starry sky above us.
- - The early evening belongs to the Festival of Light once again. There is a visit of the remaining four light objects prepared for you on the track from subway via Tyršova Street – Štruncovy sady – Pilsner Urquell Brewery yard - Pilsner Urquell Brewery cellars.
- - A special trip for beer lovers: There is also an option of a visit of the Pilsner Urquell Brewery including a guided tour (book the tour via www.prazdrojvisit.cz). On the premises of the Pilsner Urquell Brewery there is also the biggest Czech beer pub Na Spilce (580 places), an ideal place for delicious dinner after a demanding programme.
Sunday, February 22nd
- - Before leaving the city of Pilsen do not forget to visit some of the extraordinary exhibitions: Jiří Trnka's Studio in the Gallery of the City of Pilsen on the Republic Square or Munich, the Shining Metropolis of Art in the Masné Krámy exhibition hall of the Gallery of the West Bohemia in Pražská Street.
Libeňský most will be closed for tests by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: wikipedia)
Car and tram traffic will be disrupted in Libeň and Holešovice
Metro D construction to start by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Work on the long delayed fourth line should begin this year
City looks at Airbnb problems by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
The mayor wants to regulate short-term rentals, but an economist differs
Prague may restrict diesel cars by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
The Czech capital is looking to other cities for pollution solutions
Tips for Trips: Leipzig by Ross Kennerley - Prague.TV (Foto: Prague.TV)
At only just over 250km away from Prague, this Eastern German city provides the perfect getaway for Prague locals
Metro C to be interrupted over Easter weekend by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
The four-day weekend will be used for track work on much of the red line
Signs call Prague taxis a 'museum of communism' by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: Praha.eu)
A new campaign is aimed at warning tourists about overcharging
Prague Airport to see big investment by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
Václav Havel Airport Prague will increase its capacity over the next decade
Pendolino trains getting new interiors by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
The fast trains will have USB ports, more sockets and comfortable seats
Politicians call for high-speed rail by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
Legislation to allow for fast international trains needed
Catsit.cz® provides cat sitting services in Prague. Other...
First Cobbler's Prague Bakery Cup Cake Shop @ PALLADIUM!
Become a Good Angel!
English and RUssian language driving school in Prague
Authentic local food tours Prague
Maldives - The Sunny Side of Life!
Have fun. Help. Volunteer overseas - Let us organize your...
Prague Sapa tours