Getting Married in Prague - Step 2

A step-by-step guide to the bureaucracy involved in tying the knot in the Czech Republic

Czech Foreign Ministry Notarization

What is it and why do I need it?

This is a stamp from the Foreign Ministry that certifies the "marriageability" document.


600 CZK

How and where do I get it?

The US embassy will give you a map showing the 10-minute walk - up a half-million steps - to the Foreign Ministry (Loretánské náměstí 5, Prague 1-Hradčany). Go there from the embassy, step inside and stand at the window.

Once the employee finally comes out from behind their cubicle wall - something that took 15 minutes in my case - it should take about five minutes. I've gone there twice and both times I was the only person there not wasting someone else's time.

Difficulty Rating

4 out of 10

(1 = Easy; 10 = Hair-Pulling Devilry)

Special Note

Also get the document that certifies your birth certificate is original stamped here. I came back later and it cost another 600 CZK, but you may be able to get some sort of package deal.

Video on YouTube

Related articles

Facebook comments

Decathlon Černý Most

All For Sport - Sport For All

Prague Airport Transfers

Prague Airport Transport: Private, Shuttle & Limo-service!

Prague Daily Monitor

Prague’s # 1 source for Czech news in English - Sign up for...

Expats Center Prague

All you need to help you settle in and to make your life...

Expats Center Prague

Services for expats, designed by expats


Visa, green card, Trade license, Llc company, work permit,...

Short and long term rentals, help with relocation. We speak...

Crown Relocations

International Moving and Relocation Specialist

Prague’s # 1 source for Czech news in English…

Expat and Czech Business Professional Network


German Language Info Service

Brno Daily

New English-language online magazine for Brno...

Czech Mu

捷 目 is the first-ever Chinese language online newspaper...