18th century chapel in Petřín repaired

The chapel is a copy of one in Jerusalem marking the supposed site of Jesus’ tomb

One of the buildings surrounding the base of the Petřín Lookout Tower has been restored. The Chapel of the Holy Sepulcher had long been neglected. The chapel had a complete restoration under the supervision of state monument caretakers.

The Chapel of the Holy Sepulcher dates to 1737 and is in part of the park surrounding Petřín Tower. That area was renovated last year.

“The previous tenant for a long time neglected even minor maintenance of the building. We had to proceed with a sensitive and demanding renovation, but the result is worth it,” Deputy Mayor Petr Hlubuček (United Force for Prague) said on the City Hall website.

The restoration work was complicated by the last repairs being carried out without oversight from monument caretakers, almost destroying the original appearance of the chapel. In addition to a cleaning of the eroded parts, the monument also received a new facade. The final color of the exterior was based on the results of the restoration survey.

The restorers also renewed paintings in the interior of the chapel, according to City Hall.

“It is a wrongly neglected monument that was built in the first half of the 18th century according to a chapel standing in Jerusalem. One of the attractions is that light from one of the windows falls at the center of the chapel around Easter. I believe that the chapel will attract more visitors after the renovation than before,” Hlubuček added.

As part of the renovation, the building also had the installation of a ventilation duct with drainage around the entire building to protect it from humidity, a new copper roof and surrounding stone pavement. The restoration work came out at nearly Kč 2 million.

The design of the chapel on Petřín is based on a similarly named chapel in Jerusalem that stands inside the Church of the Holy Sepulcher and according to Christian tradition is where the body of Jesus was laid to rest before resurrection.

The chapel now stands between the Petřín Lookout Tower and the Mirror Maze. It was built by priest Norbert Saazer and architect Jan Ferdinand Schor. It serves as the last stop on a trail of small monuments marking the Stations of the Cross, a series of pictures of Jesus’ journey to crucifixion.

The chapel was previously repaired in 1883, 1935 and 1995.

Related articles

Facebook comments

Sněmovní 7

Sněmovní 7, a new co-working place in Prague 1.

KUKBURG - Farm to table

Our meat and products straight to your table

Ristorante Casa de Carli

Authentic Italian cuisine in Prague

Airwaynet

Fast and reliable internet connection in Prague!

Pražské Benátky

The Prague Venice company

Balloon Adventures Prague

Welcome to the ballooning world!

Prague Boats

Prague river cruises – popular Prague tourist attractions

SolvePrague

Escape rooms in Prague


PragueMonitor.com

Prague’s # 1 source for Czech news in English…


PragueConnect.cz

Expat and Czech Business Professional Network


Tschech.News

German Language Info Service