9 staggering truths about property rental laws
Advice on renting a flat in cooperation with our Partner Czech Point 101
1. All minor repairs are the responsibility of the tenant
2. The landlord can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if: a. the tenant severely violates their obligations under the lease or b. the tenant is convicted of a criminal act against the landlord or their family
3. A tenant can only give notice for cancellation of a fixed length contract (i.e. 1 year) if their living situation has seriously changed (i.e. loss or change of employment, marriage, children, etc.). The notice period is 3 months starting from the first of the following month.
4. A tenant must be paid interest on their damage deposit at the rate stipulated by the Czech National Bank
5. Landlords cannot restrict tenants from having pets
6. A tenant can sub-lease their property without needing consent of the landlord
7. A landlord is not permitted to enter a property without consent of the tenant except in an emergency (i.e. flood, fire, earthquake)
8. A tenant can change the locks on the property without being required to inform the landlord or provide them with a key
9. A tenant has until the 5th day of a month to pay that month’s rent
Note: Most items above have exceptions but in general the above statements are the general rule. For example, with number 5 about pets the tenant couldn’t move in a lion or other dangerous animal.
For more details on the above laws please see our in-depth discussion on landlord tenant laws in Czech Republic: Part 1, Part 2
City wants to buy water firm PVK by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
The City Council approved buying the company the provides Prague's water
Prague planning to face climate change by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
A proposal calls for more greenery and use of new building materials
Apartment prices up 30 percent in two years by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
A lack of supply of new flats is the main driver on the market
Demolition begins on Wenceslas Square 47 by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: www.vn47.cz)
The building has been at the center of a controversy for over six years
Prague prepares for drought by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
Despite floods in the past, lack of rainfall is threatening the city
Selling your house as a part of a divorce in the Czech Republic by rutland ježek - Prague.TV
Legal advice provided in cooperation with our partner rutland ježek
Prague has most expensive old houses by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
Prices vary greatly among the regions and have been increasingly
New forest land being planted in Prague by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: fotolia)
The city currently has about 10 percent of it areas covered by woods
Prague 4 opposes street change plans by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV (Foto: IPR Praha)
Work could begin in 2019 in the Pankrác area if agreement is reached
Changes for Malostranské náměstí could start next year by Raymond Johnston - Prague.TV
Prague representatives have approved a basic concept for the square in Malá Strana
Looking for a memorable experience in Prague?
Catsit.cz® provides cat sitting services in Prague. Other...
27 taps with excellent craft beers and ciders in the center...
No Contracts, No Hassles, just quality satellite television
Kids fashion shop
A small family hotel in an old renaissance-looking burgher...
Send cash around the world in minutes with no bank account...
Antiques, collectibles and more ...